April 1, 2013

RE Appointment



RE Appointment

Dave and I had an RE appointment on Tuesday March 26th and although I wasn't prepared for all the news that was given to us, I feel prepared and motivated moving forward. The appointment was with Dr. Kovanci at the Woman's Pavilion in Houston and overall I was impressed with his knowledge and his desire to address any of our concerns and issues.

The meeting however did begin crappy as we were informed that our patient files from the past two years had not been faxed to their office as we were told by our doctors. Files that contained Dave's SA results  and my medical workup were no where to be found, as a result we both tried to recall information that was told to us over a year ago. To make a long story short I was not a happy camper. When I doctor arrived to meet us he was trying to piece together a best and worst case scenario as we had nothing else to go on. He then took us and preformed an ultrasound and had me complete a blood test to check AMH levels.

From the ultrasound Dr. Kovanci concluded that I had a low ovarian reserve, meaning I am not producing the amount of eggs that are considered normal for my age group. At the time of my ultrasound I only had 2-3 eggs in each of my Ovaries and for a woman my age the number should be closer to 10 on each side. This news completely knocked me out, I never thought I had any issues as my gynecologist never said anything to me about it. This news was pretty upsetting as I already knew that as of now there is no way to increase the amount of eggs a woman has, we are all born with a set number at birth. Going into our appointment I expected to deal with Dave's low sperm count and motility and here I was finding out that we both have fertility issues. I guess we were lucky at all to have even been able to conceive on our own last summer.

We concluded our meeting by looking at the best and worse case scenario and a appointment for me to retake the HSG exam.


BEST CASE: He stated that we were both "young" and having a sperm issue would be fine as he believed IUI would be the solution to our problem and my low ovarian reserve would not be a factor. 
WORST CASE: HSG shows that tubes are blocked in which case we would need to move onto IVF and with our low sperm and eggs it would be very difficult for us to conceive. 

With all that shoved at me I feel I took the news pretty well, I will be taking my HSG soon and we are scheduled to sit down and plan out future examinations next Friday. I will keep you all updated.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I came across your blog through a babycenter group, February first time moms, we are due more or less around the same time... This entry moved me so much... I was in the same page, and had devastating news after devastating news... I TTC for only 9 months when I got pregnant, but that 9 months journey was really hard, and started with the news of a fsh level that indicated menopause at 31 years old... Then exams and tests, ovarian stimulation with shots, with 1 egg as a result, which didn't work out, a laparoscopy that showed blockage in both tubes, one of which the doctor could unblock and the other that he couldn't, but it didn't matter since he discovered that the ovary in that side was atrophied.... He suggested ivf, and since we had a vacation planned to Argentina, he gave us names of doctors to visit there, since I had better chance there... The doctor there suggested more tests, that included antimullerian hormone, which she told us would be below cero, because of all I have written, but hoped a 0.9, and I had 0.16... That was the lowest point... That month I decided to program ivf in Argentina for the following month, but my period was odd and my doctor here advised me against it for that month, he told me I should wait another month... And the next month AF never came... I was pregnant on my own... I guess miracles do happen!!! Tomorrow I will be 10 weeks...

    ReplyDelete