December 21, 2013

Bradley Birth 12 Week Course Review



Bradley Birth 12 Week Course Review

I thought it would be great if I blogged about the birthing class we chose to take and how we plan to birth in the next few weeks. Dave and I attended a 12 week birthing couse called the Bradley Method. I am proud to say that we never missed a class and that as the weeks came and went we really felt more prepared for Kai's arrival.

If you are unfamiliar with the Bradley Method here is a quick overview. As I mentioned earlier it is a 12 week course that emphasis the role of the dad as a birth coach. I chose this course, because I really wanted Dave to be apart of the birthing experience, I didn't want him to feel as if I was having a baby when it should be WE are having a baby. I searched all over Houston for an instructor that would fit our schedule, we wanted Saturday mid-day lessons, and who was relatively close as Houston is a large city. Well it really wasn't a difficult decision after I ran across Total Natural Childbirth: Bradley Method website through a Google search. Johanna was our instructor and the course content was great. Lots of people often complain that their instructor was boring or that they felt they were being lectured, but that was not the experience I had with Johanna. I thought she had many real-life stories that added to our class and as a mother of 5 she had so many tips and tricks first time moms like me need to hear. Our class consisted of 7 couples all FTMs with the exception of one and all at various weeks in pregnancy. In class we learned proper food & nutrition, relaxation techniques, exercises that can help during labor, and several birthing positions. However, I must mention that if there is one thing I would change it would be the outdated Bradley Videos, I understand that natural birthing hasn't changed in the general sense but can we get a video that was made in this decade. I mean really the babies being born in the Bradley videos must be grandparents themselves now.

Here is the actual outline of course content week-by-week:

  • Class 1. Introduction to The Bradley Method
  • Class 2. Nutrition in Pregnancy 
  • Class 3. Pregnancy, Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy and Birth
  • Class 4. The Coach's Role 
  • Class 5. Introduction to First Stage Labor 
  • Class 6. Introduction to Second Stage Labor 
  • Class 7. Planning Your Birth 
  • Class 8. Variations and Complications / Postpartum Preparation 
  • Class 9. Advanced First Stage Techniques 
  • Class 10. Advanced Second Stage Techniques 
  • Class 11. Being a Great Coach / Are You Ready? 
  • Class 12. Preparing for Your New Family 

Overall I loved my class and the experience I had. I would highly recommend taking a natural birth class if your desire is to have a natural birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment